Two distinguished rabbis – Dr. Sabato Morais and Dr. H. Pereia Mendes – founded The Jewish Theological Seminary (JTS) in New York City in 1886 as the vital intellectual and spiritual center of Conservative Judaism. They welcomed their first class of 10 students in 1887. Since then, the seminary has grown to become one of the world’s finest Jewish educational institutions, with 375 current students and an alumni network of 4,225.More about this grant »
We are building on Mr. Davidson’s legacy of investing in Education. In his lifetime, Mr. Davidson helped establish or endow institutions to train Jewish educators (The William Davidson Graduate School of Jewish Education at the Jewish Theological Seminary), offer professional development to business leaders and entrepreneurs (The William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan) and promote science education in Israel (The Davidson Institute of Science Education at the Weizmann Institute of Science). We continue to support these and other educational institutions to advance our interests in the economic, cultural, and civic vitality of Southeast Michigan, Israel, and the Jewish community.